At Bowburn Primary School, we believe that inclusive education means providing all pupils with appropriate education and support alongside their peers. The Curriculum consist of all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development.
It includes not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also the range of additional opportunities that the school organises in order to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning.
Each class teacher follows the school’s long term plans to ensure that all elements of the National Curriculum are covered. This is used to create termly and then weekly/daily plans to ensure that he curriculum is covered using a range of teaching and learning strategies. By using a range of targeted or differentiated teaching and learning strategies, we strive to ensure that every child’s needs will be met.
At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum Bowburn Primary School remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in-class support such as phonics or fine motor skills group work
- Additional out-of-class support (e.g. Speech and Language Therapy)
- Specific individual support in dedicated areas within school
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities including booster/homework clubs
- Mentoring and counselling
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
- Differentiated materials and activities
For further information you can view the Teaching & Learning Policy in the School Policies section of our website. More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.